Thursday, August 28, 2008

First Blog


Okay someone has to start…. I guess it is me.

Living in Keremeos is mostly wonderful. It is a hot place…except for this year. Seems to be more rain than usual. It is a great grow “anything” area and things grow in leaps and bounds.
We have more fruit stands that you can shake a stick at. In fact were known as the “Fruit Stand Capital of Canada” Something to be real proud of…..ya think?
Anyway, everyone here either has an orchard or at least a few fruit trees.
When we first moved here, we were so excited to own two peach trees, a apricot tree, apple tree, two plum trees. That is until they started producing. What the hell do you do with 50 tons of fruit? You can only make so much jam and canned fruit.
At least I can say my compost is well fed. I don’t feel guilty putting all my extra fruit in the compost. My worms are very happy worms and make beautiful compost for me.
I have a neighbour who leans over the fence and says things like…. ”Your fruit is falling on the ground” or “ looks like you peaches are almost ready” or “ I have a bucket if you need it?” or Sure do enjoy those plums”… Hmmm. Think they would like some????
Being me, stubborn, I just pick them up and give them to my worms. I don’t know…I guess I’m mean. I do give my neighbours fruit, but hey, sometimes I get mad at people who are moochers. Why don’t you have any fruit trees? I guess my neighbours are the only people in this town who DON’T own a tree. They do have a huge vegetable garden though. Don’t seem to share very much. Maybe if I bring my bucket over and say “sure do love fresh pea’s

Talking about peaches. We were a bit late picking them this year. Most had fallen off the tree (even with the neighbours pointing that out to us). Birds, wasps, and ants ate a fair bit. We did have enough to make a few jars of canned fruit. The rest went to my wonderful worms living in my compost… at least the worms are happy.

Okay I went out to my compost bin to take pictures of my worms….ya pictures of worms.
My pitch fork broke, my camera ran out of batteries. So all you get is a picture of my canned peaches. Not as cool as a bunch of squiggly happy worms.


Sorry about the different fonts....something was going wrong and guess you can't change in the middle of typing.


2 comments:

Pati said...

Hey good post....Your peaches look yummy. I am now a fan....haha. Do i count?

Pati said...

This part makes me laugh sooo much.....Good one Shirl!!They do have a huge vegetable garden though. Don’t seem to share very much. Maybe if I bring my bucket over and say “sure do love fresh pea’s